Monday, November 29, 2010

Escape from the Basement - The Sequel

Here's the moving crew: my son Bill, fellow boatbuilder Ted, me, friend Rick (who stopped in for a visit from out of town and got roped into this) and my daughter's boyfriend Brett.

After numerous inquiries about whether I was sure this boat would be able to be taken out of the basement, I was no longer sure. After some discussions with my friend Ted, the only sure way to know was to take the boat out of the basement. Since I didn't want to move it to the garage yet and lose my garage for the winter, the plan was to bring it up and take it back down. At this stage of the build, the boat does not have decking and is easier to handle and at least 30 pounds lighter than it will be finished. The back of the boat weighs in at 120 lb. and the front 82 lb. for a total of 202 lbs. at this point. The problem area is at the top of the stairs where the kitchen starts about 4' from the door opening. You can see this angled cupboard that is protected by a movers blanket. My mock-up done before I started the boat construction made it out OK, so now it was time for the real thing.

Since I have a buddy in the tape business, I was able to procure a roll of tape used to protect painted surfaces. I covered the sides of the boat with the tape which afforded some protection without any bulk.

It was time to move the boat to the base of the stairwell. This went fairly easily, but it does take a bit of muscle power to get the boat on its side and ready for the launch up the stairwell.

Then it was up into the stairway keeping the transom low to avoid hitting the ceiling as the boat started the journey up.

The boat emerged out of the top of the stairs and made it into the kitchen! Just like I planned it....never a doubt.

Then just for more enjoyment, the moving crew reversed the process and put the boat back into the basement so it can be made heavier and more awkward for the final trip.

Now when someone asks "Will it make it out of the basement?" I can honestly state that it already did.

BTW, this trial also proved that I cannot build a larger boat in my basement - it is rather close to NOT making it out.

Inside Job

I finally got around to putting a clear finish on the inside of the boat to protect the epoxy from UV sunlight degradation. I sanded all the surfaces that would be exposed to sunlight and got them smooth. I used Top Secret Coatings Revolution 1000 in clear. They recommended a hardner and a different thinner than what was used for the paint. I mixed up a pint of the clear with about .7 oz. of hardner and and about 1.5 oz. of thinner. I applied the coating with foam brushes. I used 3 of them to get the first coat on since they turned to mush after awhile. (The white material seen in the top photo is a protective tape used to protect painted surfaces. I put it on after about a week of drying time so I could step into the boat without marring the surface.)

I covered the batch of finish and waited 2 hours for the first coat to dry to touch and then applied a second coat. The second coat went on heavier than the first probably due to some evaporation of the thinner. If I had to do it over again, I would add some more thinner for the second coat. I think the finish is acceptable for an inside job, but there are a few sags and some small rough surface "pips" which might be solvent pops or possibly from some residual sanding dust.