Monday, November 29, 2010

Inside Job




I finally got around to putting a clear finish on the inside of the boat to protect the epoxy from UV sunlight degradation. I sanded all the surfaces that would be exposed to sunlight and got them smooth. I used Top Secret Coatings Revolution 1000 in clear. They recommended a hardner and a different thinner than what was used for the paint. I mixed up a pint of the clear with about .7 oz. of hardner and and about 1.5 oz. of thinner. I applied the coating with foam brushes. I used 3 of them to get the first coat on since they turned to mush after awhile. (The white material seen in the top photo is a protective tape used to protect painted surfaces. I put it on after about a week of drying time so I could step into the boat without marring the surface.)


I covered the batch of finish and waited 2 hours for the first coat to dry to touch and then applied a second coat. The second coat went on heavier than the first probably due to some evaporation of the thinner. If I had to do it over again, I would add some more thinner for the second coat. I think the finish is acceptable for an inside job, but there are a few sags and some small rough surface "pips" which might be solvent pops or possibly from some residual sanding dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment