Friday, June 17, 2011

(Varnish - Sand) x ?



After a 5 coats of clear epoxy it was time for varnish of the deck and sides. I have completed 4 coats of varnish and the amber tint has given a nice ivory color to the white stripes and toned them down a bit. Looks better I think. As stated on the varnish can (Epifanes), the first coat was thinned 50% with mineral spirits. I used a foam trim roller to put it on quickly and a wide foam brush to tip it off. The first couple of coats were sanded with 220, but I could see scratches, so I have now been using 320 and then 400 between coats. Thinning is about 25%. I have been rolling on half of the forward deck and then tipping off, then do the same on the other side. If there is any imperfection, I have learned to ignor it because there is no going back, it only makes an issue worse. I was hoping to be done after 4 coats, but there were a couple of dry/missed spots so I'm on for at least 5. I hope to be done before the boating season is over.

3 comments:

  1. wow. i know how hard that is. been working on my varnish for months now. messed it up multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to Build Hollow Wood Surfboard SUP Surfboard Kit Surfboard ...
    Start building your own Hollow Wood Stand Up Paddle Board or Surfboard TODAY!
    http://clickmeterlink.com/woodensurfboardplans

    ReplyDelete